Is Boutique Fitness Right for Me?
If you’re ready for results it’s time to ditch the health club…
There was a time when we got all the exercise we require from our daily activities. But as hunting and gathering lead to farming and eventually the industrialized world we live in today the need for human “labor” has been nearly eradicated. Now that we work desk jobs, eat our meals from the hot bar at Whole Foods, and enjoy a generally sedentary lifestyle we are required to reintroduce this missing physical activity. For some reason, the question of how to add physical activity, or work, back into our lives is one that has proven to be puzzling, controversial, and difficult terrain to navigate.
In response to the demands of the market the fitness industry has grown tremendously, particularly in North America where an estimated $28 billion was spent in 2015. Much of this industry is dominated by health clubs and large gym franchises that offer a sampling of strength equipment, cardio machines, TV’s, massage chairs and minimal staffing. Granted how many staff members do you need when your members don’t actually attend the club? In a study done by students at UC Berkeley found 67% of gym memberships are never used in the population they surveyed.
“If you are not going to the gym, you are actually the gym’s best customer.” -Stacey Vanek Smith, NPR
The savvy marketers at big box gyms know how to target their marketing towards individuals who won’t actually come to the facility. As humans we often get a rush of excitement by a new fitness undertaking. “This is it, the time I actually change, no looking back,” you say. The challenge is that the health club has made zero commitment to you. They don’t care if you show up or not. Luckily there is someone out there who does.
Boutique fitness is the alternative to the traditional health club model. Boutique gyms offer specialized classes based on the expertise of the owners, teachers, or coaches. CrossFit boxes, Barre studios, Bikram yoga, parkour facilities, spin classes are all great examples of the boutique fitness model.
These communities succeed when the all parts are working together; the owner, staff, and clientele all succeed when they each meet their goals. This synergistic effect leads to faster results and more satisfaction from all parties. As a client you have a team of coaches and fellow members who are all rooting for you, teaching you, and most importantly holding you accountable. Becoming fit doesn’t have to be a chore, a challenge, or a pain point. In fact, it can even be fun 😉
Boutique gyms have been seen rapid growth in the past decade as clients recognize that when it comes to fitness, not all gyms are created equal. Some of the most common excuses sound like:
- “I have a hard time sticking to a routine”
- “I’m just too busy to exercise”
- “I get bored with going to the gym, it always feels like work”
- “I don’t know how to lift weights/choose a routine/eat the right food”
These are great excuses, but since you’re ready to make a change it’s time to ditch the excuses and focus on RESULTS. By implementing a system that counters your excuses you’ll be left with the only option, the results that you want to achieve.
If you struggle with sticking to a routine you will benefit from the coaches, friends, and community members that you’ll meet at each class. A group of people that will ask you about your day, learn about your goals and life, and most importantly encourage you to show up consistently to your workouts.
If you claim to be too busy then you should sign up for classes ahead of time. The wide variety of classes that are available each day at time frames that are consistent with your schedule make it easy to squeeze in an hour long workout.
If boredom is your challenge then a workout that changes every day is exactly what you need. Not only that but the different coaching styles and friends you’ll make at different times of the day make each class a totally unique experience.
If information is the enemy then relax, because that’s already been taken care of for you. Your coach has put a lot of thought into a training program that will improve your fitness and will be by your side to instruct you on form, breathing, and what weights to use. Keep an eye out for group nutrition challenges to boot!
To get the results you want sometimes you need to try a new approach. If that trip to the gym feels more daunting than Frodo walking the ring to Mordor then it’s time to see what a boutique gym has in store for you!
The Power of Choice
Most of us have an area in our life we wish we were performing better in. That part of us that doesn’t quite fit into our own skin. It could be a touchy subject that our spouse and friends know to steer clear of, the elephant in the room. It could be the promotion you still haven’t received, the credit card you haven’t paid off, or the weight you were supposed to lose by the beginning of summer… in 2012.
And because you’re wearing this very uncomfortable skin that’s not quite your size I am happy to tell you that you are exactly where you chose to be today.
I can already hear the objections rising up so let me explain why.
You see I totally understand your story. I understand because it’s yours, mine, and everyone else’s. Sometimes having a new baby, a busy time at work, or the worst timing for a medical emergency/broken down car/economic depression can happen. There are a million and one events in life that can derail us. They are not always fair and can seem impossible to overcome when they show up knocking at our door.
“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths.”
At that point we do an admirable thing. We give up on our dream. We set it aside to go fix the problem. We change our identity and become the superhero who knows exactly how to work overtime and take care of a sick parent. We do it because we want to make sure the story has a happy ending. We do it out of love.
And life goes on.
And sometimes the situation gets better. And sometimes it doesn’t. Either way, the situation that called for a superhero 6 months ago no longer needs a hero to save it. But there you stand in cape and tights committed to action. Except now it’s time to go home. Time to write a new story.
Where you stand today is a result of many choices. Some of your hero moments were the big decisions that shaped your trajectory. Like I said, I’m proud of you for doing that. But now it’s time to get back on the path. Your path. The one you stopped telling yourself that you wanted because it hurt too bad to think that it may never come true.
You might think it’s too late (it’s not).
You might want to try, but feel that you strayed too far (you haven’t).
You have to remember you have the power of choice. And it’s a good thing that you do. It gives you the power to turn your greatest adversity into your greatest strength. You always have the option to shy away or to stand and fight.
It’s time for a new story. You’re the hero and you’re at the turning point in the movie of your life. So what are you going to do next?You’ve endured hardship, learned tough lessons, and fallen time and time again. Wouldn’t this be a great time for everything to turn around?
Maybe you can recruit someone to help you get there, a long lost friend or a wise old mentor. Maybe you need to crank up “Eye of the Tiger” and experience the training it will take to achieve your success.
The time to act is now. Don’t slip back into your old story. You are the hero. The power of choice brought you here. Your choice decides what happens next.
So what are you going to do?
[GYM OWNER:] Add a call to action here, like: “Schedule your Free Consult here” with a link.
5 Reasons to get STRONG
Fitness trends come and go and most fall to the wayside for good reason.
Most programs fail to produce consistent results. It’s a wonder why so many folks stray away from what is tried and true when it comes to exercise programs?
“The rule is: the basics are the basic, and you can’t beat the basics.” -Charles Poliquin
Despite what your goals may be, every individual can benefit from physical resistance training. Not only that, but the health benefits extend far beyond your short term fitness goals. Regardless of why you train, let’s take a look at some of the reasons you should incorporate strength training into your fitness regimen.
1. Training for strength produces results.
Whatever your goals, muscle will help you get there. Some companies in the fitness industry has made a fortune around buzzwords like “tone”, “lift”, and “sculpt.” The problem is there’s no way to measure those loose terms. If you want to change your body composition there is only the ability to gain or lose muscle while simultaneously gaining or losing fat. If you are looking for the most efficient way to do make a change then strength training is your best option.
Strength training, or physical resistance training, can be defined as a type of physical exercise specializing in the use of resistance to induce muscular contraction which builds the strength, anaerobic endurance, and size of skeletal muscles. When you gain muscle you increase your bodies basal metabolism (the amount of calories you burn each day before factoring in physical activity). It’s kind of like putting a bigger engine in a car. The car is capable of moving faster or pulling a heavier load (more muscle), but it also uses more fuel (fat) whether it’s cruising down the freeway or idling in the driveway. Strength training helps us “tone” through this muscle gain/fat loss trade.
2. “You can’t manage what you can’t measure.” -Peter Drucker
Training for strength provides a clear path for success. You can set training goals that are specific, measurable, and produce desired outcomes. A good coach will help you design a plan towards these goals with checkpoints along the way. Your strength training program is a road map to success with clear directions. Sets, reps, and weights lifted safely through the full range of motion are the signals that you’re on track. Many people find that a more detailed plan helps them stay motivated as they experience progress.
3. Age gracefully with more muscle mass.
As we get older strength training is one of the most important things we can do for our health. Physical independence is a key factor in a great quality of life.
A comprehensive study of strength training has been proven to:
- Improve motor function
- Lower resting heart rate
- Increase stamina
- Prevent sarcopenia (age related muscle loss)
- Improve bone mineral density
- Prevent and help rehab injuries
Functional strength training will be an asset in daily life too. From picking up grandchildren or bags of groceries to climbing stairs with confidence.
4. You’ll experience epic brain gains.
Did you know that lifting weights can strengthen your brain just as much as it does your body?
Dr. Yorgi Mavros from the University of Sydney has found that high‐intensity physical resistance training (PRT) results in significant improvements in cognitive function, muscle strength, and aerobic capacity in older adults with mild cognitive impairment. Adults who followed a resistance training routine in addition to cognitive training performed significantly better than control groups on a series of mental tests. A couple key factors to note:
The participants exercised 2x/ week working to at least 80% of their peak strength.
The benefits lasted one year after the exercise prescription had ended.
What does that mean? According to Yorgi, “The stronger people became, the greater the benefit for their brain.” Let that sink in for a minute. You actually grow your brain by training to become stronger! It makes me wonder if Einstein developed his Theory of Relativity in between heavy sets of back squats…
5. Strong moms have healthy babies.
During pregnancy, the question always arises of what does fitness look like for this stage of life? With so much on the line, it’s important to consult with a doctor before beginning any fitness routine. Luckily, there is a tremendous amount to be gained by incorporating a strength training routine under normal circumstances. Resistance training can help alleviate symptoms and improve health outcomes for the mother and child. According to the Mayo Clinic, women who follow a consistent strength training routine during pregnancy can experience:
- Reduce backaches, constipation, bloating and swelling
- Boosted mood and energy levels
- Better sleep
- Prevent excess weight gain
- Maintain levels of muscle strength and endurance
- Reduced incidence of gestational diabetes
Not only that but women who train during pregnancy report enhanced body image and better psychological well-being!
We would love to help you live a healthy strong life. Schedule a Free Consult to learn more.
COVID-19 Safety Protocols
OCCUPANCY, DISTANCING AND FACILITY
- CrossFit Gantry will be reopening with a limited capacity based on the requirements in the Forward NY Guidelines for Gyms and Fitness Centers.
- Based on the guidelines, we are limited to a total volume below 33% occupancy that allows for consistent social distancing of 6′ in all directions.
- All “Sessions” at the gym are by reservation only through our Zen Planner App.
- Workout stations have been taped down in order to clearly indicate each member’s training area. Equipment including barbells, weights, benches and collars have been spaced out throughout the gym to limit extra travel and reduce the need to gather in one area to get equipment.
- Walkway lines and directional arrows have been taped down as well as social distancing markings and signage throughout the gym.
- Staff onsite will oversee and facilitate proper distancing protocols during all business hours.
- The entire back area, including restrooms, showers, lockers and changing area and cubbies will be closed to all members until restrictions are eased or lifted (If you are currently renting a locker you can remove your items from the locker and we will cancel the monthly charge).
- We ask that you limit the items that you bring to the gym. A towel and water bottle are all that is necessary.
- Members must come to the gym alone. We love your kids and your pets, but every body counts toward the 33% occupancy.
HEALTH SCREEN, MASKS and CONTACT TRACING
Every visit to the gym will require:
- Pre-registration via Zen Planner
- All Members and Coaches will complete a daily mandatory health screening questionnaire prior to arrival (a link will be emailed after every class reservation)
- Contactless temperature check
- All Members and Coaches must wear a mask at all times.
- Acceptable coverings: cloth-based and disposable mask that cover both the mouth and nose.
- We recommend the Under Armour Sportmask
- Bandanas, buffs, and gaiters are not acceptable face coverings for use in gyms.
- Individuals who screen positive for covid-19 symptoms will not be allowed access to the gym.
- All attendance records from Zen Planner and Covid-19 Questionnaire answers will be stored digitally for no less than 28 days per Forward NY Guidelines (Please make sure your address, phone number and emails are updated in your Zen Planner app).
- CrossFit Gantry is required to notify the state and local health department immediately upon being informed of any positive COVID-19 test results by an individual at the gym.
- In the case of an individual testing positive, CrossFit Gantry must cooperate with the state and local health departments as required to trace all contacts in the gym and notify state and local health department of all individuals who entered the gym dating back 48 hours before the individual first experienced COVID-19 symptoms or tested positive, whichever is earlier. HIPPA laws regarding confidentiality apply to all individuals.
CLEANING & DISINFECTION
- We will be using an electric fogger after every workout session to disinfect all equipment and high touch areas.
- Bioesque Botanical Disinfectant Solution will be used throughout the facility
- Kills active viruses in 2-4 minutes.
- EPA and CDC approved.
- Chlorine and Phosphate free, non abrasive and non corrosive.
- Each workout area will have a Bioesque spray bottle and a box of Scott Disposable Shop Towels.
- 10 minutes will be left at the end of each workout session for members to put away equipment and the coach to oversee and disinfect.
- Restrooms will be disinfected every two hours with the electric fogger.
- The gym will be deep cleaned three times a week by Yafi Cleaning Services (Pauline).
- The 13’ x 13’ garage door will be left open at all times during workout sessions.
- Ceiling exhaust fans will be running at all times during workout sessions to pull air out and promote fresh air flow.
- The 14’ Big Ass Fan will be set in reverse to draw air upwards away from occupants.
COVID RELATED FAQS
What do I do when I get to the gym?
Every member must have a contactless temperature check and wash/sanitize your hands after entering. You will be assigned to a workout station, where you will stay for the remainder of the workout session.
Where will I put my stuff?
The cubbies at the front of the gym are available for DAILY use. A small bag can be brought into your workout station. Nothing can be left at the gym. The locker area will be closed to all members. Please keep exploding gym bags at home.
Do I have to wear a mask? I don’t like it/feel like I can’t breathe etc.
Appropriate face coverings will be strictly required at all times while at the gym. There are no exceptions to this policy. If you need a mask break the garage door will be open and you are welcome to go outside and take it off.
Will there be chalk at the gym?
We have removed all the communal chalk buckets from the gym. We have pre ordered liquid chalk for any member that requested and have limited quantity in the vending machine. In addition the vending machine will be stocked with individual chalk bags for purchase.
Will there be Open Gym hours?
Not at the moment. Due to contract tracing procedures and the additional expense/ protocols for equipment disinfecting we will not be opening the gym for additional training hours outside of our regularly scheduled training sessions.
Can I leave my weightlifting shoes/belt etc at the gym?
We will no longer be allowing members to leave any training equipment at the gym.
Will the showers be available?
The showers and bathrooms in the back area are closed for the time being.
Can my kid/partner/dog come with me?
Sorry, we love your kids and dogs. NY State and social distancing protocols do not.
Can I come early or hang out after class?
Time in the gym will be strictly limited to the training session signed up for. At the end of the session we ask that you will PROMPTLY leave the gym. We love you. We love your friends. We know you love your friends. We ask that you spend time with them outdoors in the fresh air. Not in the gym (There is a great brewery named Fifth Hammer just around the corner).
Will we be sharing equipment?
Programming will be designed to limit sharing and if/when it does happen sanitation protocols will be put in place.
How/when is the equipment cleaned?
Cleaning equipment is all about dwell time; how long the disinfectant is in contact with the material. Bioesque kills active viruses in 2-4 minutes. Which means it has to be in contact with the surface for 4 minutes. Spraying and wiping DOES NOTHING. It must remain on. We will use the electric fogger to disinfect all equipment after EVERY workout session.
Should I come to the gym if I have preexisting conditions or consider myself a high risk population for COVID-19?
There is an inherent risk of contracting covid in any public environment. While our safety protocols are thorough, we recommend individuals who consider themselves at high risk to not return to the gym just yet. Contact us at email@example.com for contact free one on one coaching if you want to get back in the gym but are hesitant about the group training.
What should I do if I test positive for COVID-19?
Any member who has been at the gym that tests positive for the virus should inform us via firstname.lastname@example.org. We will contact the city and follow their guidance and protocols detailed above.
Join our Members Facebook Group
Watch Coach Morgan live 12 pm Dec 7 at the American Open Finals
Plyometrics Workshop Saturday June 6th
We are excited to welcome Conor Lynch, CrossFit Coach, Power Athlete Coach and Pelvic Guru Female Athlete facilitator to the gym for a week of guest coaching followed by a 2 hour Plyometrics Workshop on June 6th at 1 pm
What’s in it for the athlete:
Test your vertical.
Learn jumping and landing techniques.
Develop upper body plyometric exercises.
- Position is key for creating and absorbing maximal forces.
- Strength is the foundation for explosiveness.
- Need to be strong enough to absorb force, stop force and create new force.
- How you do it matters most.
- All of it helps, but what specifically is it helping? Meaning, is what you are doing plyometric in nature or intent?
- Vertical Jump
- Broad Jump
Medicine Ball Activities:
- Seated over/unders
- Seated trunk rotations
- Standing front toss
- Hammer squats
- Supine pull overs
- Supine power toss
- Walking/Marching in place
- Quick feet/Quick hands in place
- Cocky walk sequence
- Tall ‘n drop to stick it landing
- Max reps of back squat at 60% body weight in 5 seconds.
- Average broad jump. (Possibly single leg take off to two foot landing. )
- Max height vertical jump
- Max height depth jump that matches vertical
- Start off a 6” box and build by 2-3” per attempt.
Cool Down Activities:
- “Relax To Win” – head to toe guided relaxation sequence.
LIC Post Waterfront 5K
LIC Waterfront 5K Registration
Use discount code CFG for $5 off registration.
Select CrossFit Gantry as your Team.